Monday, February 4, 2008

Memories

This past week with the passing of the prophet, I have had many memories and sweet feelings touch my heart. I wanted to record a very special memory I have of President Gordon B. Hinckley.
Many know that while I was in high school, my father was the Stake President in Fillmore, UT. Our stake included Cove Fort. My father is also the FM Director over the area including Cove Fort. When the time came for the re-enactment of the pioneers coming to Utah, President Hinckley held a Family Home Evening Fireside with the members of our stake and a few others at Cove Fort. Because of the positions my father had both in his calling and his job, my parents and I were able to greet the Prophet and spend about an hour with him.
I don't think I appreciated that experience as much as I should have at the time, but I am very thankful that I was able to meet the prophet face to face and talk with him.
Through the hour we had with him, I truly felt his love for me and for the other members of the church. He as usual was humorous and soaked in all he could learn about Cove Fort, since his grandfather was the one who built it. The thing I remember the most was that he was spunky and loving, reverent and kind, humble and filled with the Spirit.
I will always treasure the special experience I had, to meet the Prophet and to know without a doubt that he was the Prophet of God.

3 comments:

Kerrilyn said...

Wow, what an awesome experience. He was an awesome man!!!

Combs - A day in the Life of... said...

I agree with what you said last night about posting this memory so that your kids will know how you felt about the prophet and that you had such a wonderful experience. I wish I could have met him. What a wonderful story

Lisa Lu said...

This is an awesome BLOG! You rock, La laina!